1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
One of the best ways to encourage learning is to spend time sharing books with your child every day. Reading together helps develop pre-reading skills that provide a solid foundation, a key to school and learning success. However, it can be challenging to incorporate daily reading into your family schedule. This program is designed to help you establish that routine when your child is very young so that when he/she starts school, he/she will be ready to learn. Besides, reading together is fun!
This program is designed for children who don’t read on their own yet, in the age range from birth to 5-year-old kindergarten. Children do not have to be residents of Elm Grove to participate in the program at the Elm Grove Library. However, the 1,000 Books program is not the same at each library that offers it, so you should plan to complete the program at the same library where you begin it.
- Register at the Elm Grove Library
- Receive starting packet – book bag and folder, including first 4 reading sheets.
- Each reading sheet is for 25 books. Please count all books read with the child even if you read the same one 5 times, or if some of them were read in story time at the library or at daycare. You don’t have to read 1,000 different books. Also, you don’t have to list every book read on the back of the sheet, just keep track of favorites.
- When 4 sheets (100 books) have been completed, bring your folder into the library. Readers can stamp their sheets to show they are finished and receive a special sticker.
- When 500 books have been read, the child will receive a free book while supplies last.
- When all 40 sheets (1,000 books) have been completed, a bookplate will go into a new picture book stating that [child’s name] has read 1,000 books before Kindergarten. That book will become part of the permanent library collection.
New! Download the App
The 1000 Books Before Kindergarten App is now live in the app store for both Apple and Android products. The app is a convenient way for you to track your children’s reading progress throughout the program. Synced with Google books it is now easier than ever to search and add books to your child’s collection. Reading together helps to encourage learning and promotes pre-reading skills. With achievements, goals, and prizes throughout the journey to 1000 books, your kids will be excited to sit down and snuggle up with a good book.