Teen Volunteer Opportunities
Summer 2020 Teen Volunteer Opportunities for Ages 12-18
Summer is usually a great time to volunteer at the library but due to the unusual circumstances, we are not able to run our usual programs. However, there is one thing that teens can do for us. We would like to build a file of Teen Book Reviews and you can help. Here’s how it will work:
- Sign up as a teen volunteer You can fill out the application online. Paper applications are available at the library upon request.
- Read a book from the Elm Grove Library. This is important! It must be a book that the Elm Grove Library owns because we want teens to know about the books we have here, so please read books that are age appropriate. Is there something you wish we had? Let us know!
- Write a review of the book. The review must be at least one paragraph long with complete sentences and some description. Just saying “This was a good book” is not enough! If you liked it, try to convince others that they will like it too. If you need examples, look at the monthly library staff reviews on the library website. We’re not looking for perfection, just a good effort.
- Sign up for the summer reading program to publish your reviews. Sign up for the reading program at elmgrovelibrary.beanstack.org. Create an account for yourself and you can enter your reviews there. When they have been approved, the reviews will be visible to other teens who have signed up for the reading program at the Elm Grove Library. If you would like to participate in the reading program also, you may, but it is not required.
- What will you get? For every book you review, you will earn 2 hours of volunteer time. You may earn a maximum of 10 hours of volunteer time this summer. In August, you will receive a letter that documents your time.
Questions? Contact Sue Daniels, Youth Services Librarian, by email, or call 262-782-6717.