Assessment of Forfeiture

If at any point an individual is found guilty of an offense, a forfeiture (fine) will be assessed. Payment can be made by cash, check, money order, or credit card. Upon request, an extension for payment of the forfeiture will be granted. If not paid, there are a number of alternative sanctions that will be utilized to enforce accountability against the non-paying individual.

The first is a one-year suspension of that individual's driver's license. In order to get the driver's license back, that individual has to not only pay the original forfeiture but go to the Motor Vehicle Department and pay a fee to reinstate his/her privileges. However, that person's driving record will show that the suspension occurred causing obvious consequences for a five-year period.

The second sanction is a referral to the Department of Revenue for collections. Wages can be garnished or monies will be deducted from your income tax refunds. 

And lastly is the issuance of a commitment. A commitment directs any police officer in the State of Wisconsin to pick up the person who is the subject of the commitment and transport them to the Waukesha County jail, where in most cases they can work off the amount of the forfeiture at the rate of $50.00 per day.

Judge Steinle’s policy and philosophy are that the vast majority of our fellow citizens who are responsible and take these matters seriously should be doing so with confidence that the few who ignore their responsibilities face the appropriate consequences.