Concealed Carry Law
Wisconsin Act 35 was signed into law on July 8, 2011, and published on July 22, 2011. However, the provisions regarding carrying a concealed weapon (CCW) licenses do not take effect until November 1, 2011. The Wisconsin Department of Justice website contains up-to-date information to answer many of the questions being asked by citizens. This information is updated as needed, so it is recommended to check back often.
Training Requirements & Permits
Please refer to the Wisconsin Department of Justice Conceal Carry Law webpage to obtain the current information on training requirements for obtaining a permit.
The Elm Grove Police Department may offer a concealed carry weapon class at the Elm Grove Village Hall in the future. If you are interested in a class, send an email to Lieutenant, Jason Kubiak.
Classes are taught by instructors who are state certified to instruct both law enforcement and civilian personnel. This curriculum was developed by the State of Wisconsin Department of Justice and meets all the requirements set forth by the new concealed carry law.
During the class, you will receive training on the following topics:
- Firearms Safety
- Safe Carry Considerations
- Legal Implications of CCW
- Concealed Carry of Weapon (CCW) Licensing process
Minimum requirements to participate in this training class:
- Must be a resident of Wisconsin.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must not be prohibited from possessing a firearm under federal law, state law, or by court order.
Classes are limited to maximum 15 people (minimum to run the class is 10). The class is filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Required items for class:
- Photo ID in the form of Wisconsin ID or driver's license.
- Pen, pencil and notepad.
- Letter from Elm Grove Police Department confirming your attendance.
- Course fee paid in advance to Village of Elm Grove. (Cash, personal check or money order only. Credit cards are not accepted.)
During the lecture presentation, demonstration of various firearms components will be provided by the instructors. Students are not permitted to bring firearms or other weapons to the class.
At the completion of class, you will receive a certificate of having attended 4 hours of firearms familiarization training which may be presented as having received training as required to obtain a CCW license in Wisconsin. This course will satisfy the training requirement as set forth in Wis. Stat. 175.60(4) “Training Requirements”.
- Download the application. (Available with class openings.)
- Pick up an application at the Elm Grove Police Department.
- Request an application through email.
Return completed application and course fee to the Elm Grove Police Department.
- Mail or deliver to: 13600 Juneau Blvd., Elm Grove, WI 53122
- Make check payable to: Village of Elm Grove
If you have any questions, please contact Lieutenant, Jason Kubiak at (262)786-4141, ext 221 or by email.